Wednesday, January 23, 2008

eating healthy ... for the planet

Like many resolution-making Americans, my new year's resolution has everything to do with food. Unlike many of my food-thinking peers my goal is to eat better for the earth rather than to eat better for myself (though it is a nice side effect).
Initially, my resolution was... "Try to eat like a vegetarian." Note it isn't "Be a vegetarian" or "Don't eat meat." I enjoy sausage, burgers, chicken, and pork just like the next person but I also know how much more water, fuel, and energy it takes to create a burger vs a bowl of navy beans.

I have also been hearing a lot about buying local, vs. buying organic, vs. eating a vegan or vegetarian diet, vs. eating unprocessed or processed food, vs. eating out, eating fast food or joining the slow food movement.

There are a lot of choices out there.

So my new year's resolution is to continue to choose the vegetarian option both at home and out and about AND... do some research about all of the ways of eating. What really is the best way to eat for a sustainable planet? Should where you live factor in to how you eat? In a time of rising food costs is there a way to eat sustainably that does not deplete your budget?

I expect that my notion of eating healthy for the planet will evolve over the course of exploration and I may find that cutting down on my meat intake is not the best option. I'll share what I learn here with you. I'd also love to hear about your ideas and experiences.

Here are some initial links to get more information:

Study: Vegan diets healthier for planet, people than meat diets. (University of Chicago April 13, 2006)

Super Size Me (2004) Morgan Spurlock - This movie is a must see for everyone. If you have Netflix you can watch it right on your computer or check it out at your local library.

Environment in Focus: Diet for a sustainable planet (San Francisco Chronicle June 1, 2005)

and Finally: Locavores: Foodshed for thought. Celebrate your foodshed. Eat Locally!

No comments: