Tuesday, January 29, 2008

montana library 2.0 challenge

I accepted the Montana Library 2.0 Challenge weeks ago and today I finally begin. It is a self-paced guide to learning about web 2.0 for Montana librarians. I think there are about 70 librarians signed up and working through the course right now. The second week of the course asks us to set up a blog and use it to post thoughts about what we learn. I've decided to post my reflections here at the green librarian instead of creating a new account. Hopefully this work will inspire me to be a more active and engaging blogger.

7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

  1. Begin with the end in mind.
  2. Accept responsibility for your own learning.
  3. View problems as challenges.
  4. Have confidence in yourself as a competent and effective learner.
  5. Create your own learning toolbox.
  6. Use technology to your advantage.
  7. Teach and mentor others.

7 1/2 PLAY!!!

For me the hardest habit to stick to is Begin with the end in mind. I have well thought out goals in my life but I often am involved with so many things that the end, the actual goal, gets lost in the shuffle of trying to meet all of my obligations. I have the vague hope that after I finish up my MLIS I can better define the boundaries in my life and stick to this lifelong learning habit.

The easiest habit and one I won't soon break is Use technology to your advantage. I've always been comfortable with technology and ready to use it to make things easier, better, more efficient, more effective, and hopefully more enjoyable.

The habit I'm most interested in developing right now is Teach and mentor others. I'm in the middle of my first real experience with group teaching (Connecting to Spanish Speakers @ Your Library workshops). I shine in mentoring and one-on-one situations but have much to learn about group teaching. I enjoy sharing my knowledge, experiences, and passion with others and want to hone this skill in the future.

My goals from the Montana Library 2.0 Challenge are to 1) further explore web 2.0 technologies and fill any gaps in my knowledge and 2) practice and learn strategies to teach others to use these technologies in all types of situations.

1 comment:

Librarian said...

I got a giggle.....I use Covey to promote a positive workplace philosophy. Great ideas!

I'd like to blogroll you- - -I like your site! Shannon